Date:      Thu, 28 Apr 2011 17:27:04 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Subject:   Re: ZFS vs OSX Time Machine

On Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:56:01 pm Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 11:33:22PM +0930, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> > Does anyone else use ZFS to store TM backups?
> >
> > I find that whenever my laptop (over wifi!) starts a TM the ZFS machine
it's backing up to grinds to a halt.. Other systems streaming stuff over NFS
from it also tend to stall..

> > I presume that TM is doing something which causes ZFS some issues but I'm
not sure how to find out what the real problem is let alone how to fix it..

> > I am running FreeBSD midget.dons.net.au 8.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-
PRERELEASE #8 r217094M: Sat Jan  8 11:15:07 CST 2011
darius@midget.dons.net.au:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MIDGET  amd64

> > It is a 5 disk RAIDZ1 with 1.29Tb free using WD10EADS drives.
> >
> > I don't see any SMART errors or ZFS warnings.
> >
> > I have the following ZFS related tunables
> >
> > vfs.zfs.arc_max="3072M"
> > vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable="1"
> > vfs.zfs.txg.timeout=5
> > vfs.zfs.cache_flush_disable=1
>
> Are the last two actually *working* in /boot/loader.conf?  Can you
> verify by looking at them via sysctl?  AFAIK they shouldn't work, since
> they lack double-quotes around the values.  Parsing errors are supposed
> to throw you back to the loader prompt.  See loader.conf(5) for the
> syntax.

Huh?  I use values without quotes all the time in loader.conf.

--
John Baldwin