Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2002 11:56:46 -0600
From:      Geoff Wright <wrightg@mcmaster.ca>
To:        questions@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Not able to make fbsd recognize two NICS

Hi,

1. Installed two NICs into 486DX (with the hope of eventually sharing an
internet connection with my linux box)

2. Individually they both work fine

3. When they are both physically present in the machine, only one is
recognized

4. attempted a couple of fixes by compiling a new kernel

Explanation:

Newbie here.  And I apologize in advance because I don't have all of the
jargon straight.  I have successfully installed FreeBSD 4.4-Release on an old
486DX that came my way.  Initially, I had a SMC 83C690LJ NIC in the machine
which was recognized fine during the install.

(aside: I am behind a Linksys 4-port Router set to DHCP on a home
network...Also, attached to that SMC NIC, I have a CentreCom 210T Twisted
Pair Transceiver which apparently takes a RJ45 cable into a "serial?" (15
pin) port on the network card.  How can I describe this "serial15 pin
port"...this NIC has a BNC port on it and also this "serial 15 pin port",
there was no RJ45 port on the card and that is why I am using the Twisted
Pair Transceiver described above which converts the "serial" port into a RJ45
port - I hope that makes sense.)

The SMC NIC is picked up as:
ed0 at port 0x280-0x29f iomem 0xd8000-oxdbfff irq 10 on isa0
ed0: address 00:00:c0:17:c3:4e, type WD8013EPC (16 bit)

I just unplug the DSL cable from my linux box which is sitting beside the 486
on my desk and plug it into the SMC NIC to see if freebsd and the NIC are
working properly.  Voila! I can ftp and use Lynx - how exciting!

Next, eventually I would like to be able to share this DSL line my freeBSD
machine (the 486) and the better box running Linux-mandrake 8.0 (without
having to crawl under the desk at switch it by hand :-)).  The 486 is
primarily just to hack around and learn on without the risk of losing
anything too important.  At the moment, I can't afford to be messing around
too much with my linux box because I need it for work.

I physically removed the SMC card from the 486 and plugged in a 3Com
3c509-Combo Etherlink III NIC with a rj45, "serial?" and BNC port.  I wanted
to find out how and where it was recognized by freeBSD.  Anyways, it is
picked up as:

ep0: <3Com 3C509-Combo EtherLink III> at port 0x300-0x30f irq 10 on isa0
ep0: Ethernet address 00:20:af:03:a9:42

So, the next experiment was to plug both cards in at the same time and see if
they would both be picked up.

At this point, I was still using the GENERIC kernel, and so made sure that
both ed0 and ep were not commented out. I say ep instead of ep0 because in
the GENERIC kernel, the line for ep is just:
device ep
whereas for ed0 it is:
device ed0 at isa? port 0x280 irq 10 iomem 0xd8000

I rebooted my machine and waited anxiously to see what would happen...well,
ep0 driver appeared in the inital boot-up stuff but ed0 was nowhere to be
found.  Unfortunately, I cannot provide the output from dmesg easily (as I
haven't figured out how to send an email from freebsd...I am sending this
email from my linux box...that will be next weekend's project!)

I tried a couple of other little moves but they were totally just
guesswork...so I don't know how useful it would be for me to write it out.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
geoff