Date:      Mon, 9 Aug 1999 15:39:31 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Jean-Michel DRICOT <jdricot@ulb.ac.be>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: GPL or BSD License  ?

> Here's my problem: I'm developping software for FreeBSD community (e.g.
> JavaCom API) and I  don't know wich "licensing system" choose.

The BSD license of course.

> The BSD License looks like a "concentrate" of the GPL.
> What are thus their real differences ?

The GPL license *requires* that source code be included always, and that
anything that uses the source code must also be GPL licensed.

Therefore, any product that would use the JavaCom API must have a GPL
license, and therefore the source code must accompany the product.

The BSD license has no restrictions.  In essence, the code is given away
for anyone to use, with no strings attached except that the user of the
software waives all rights to sue the original author.

> In what case should I use GPL instead of BSD and vice-versa ?

I don't believe you can build a JavaCom API that links with the JDK
legally using the GPL, since the shared library is linking with binaries
whose sources are not publically available.  However, I'm no lawywer, so
I might be wrong.

Also, if you choose to use the GPL, then I would (personally) work at
trying to find a JavaCom API version that is BSD licensed, so I would
start with the BSD licensed code that was donated to the JavaCom
project.

There are much better (and probably less biased) comparisons on the net,
but in short, the BSD license is *much* friendlier to commercial
companies.

This means that commercial companies *can* use your source code, modify
it, and do whatever.  However, the original code you donated is still
freely available, and nothing can change that.

Nate