Date:      Wed, 03 Sep 97 14:44:19 -0700
From:      "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "John P. Reddy" <jreddy@lightning.net>
Subject:   Re: Fatal double fault

On Wed, 03 Sep 1997 10:56:06 -0400, John P. Reddy wrote:

>I have a system that keeps giving "Fatal double faults" after having an
>uptime of a few hours.  The system freezes , and I get the message:
>
>Fatal double fault:

[snip]

>System stats are:
>Cyrix 6x86L PR200+

	One of our servers had a similar problem, turned out to be a
mis-set jumper on the motherboard.

>My only guess is that having a Cyrix chip in the same box as the 3 Cheetahs
>is overheating the chip, but I can't tell for certain.  The case is a full
>tower with extra fans blowing through it.  Help me, please! :)

	You might want to open up the case right after a failure and see
if the chip is too hot to touch.  Or leave the case open and put a big fan
on it (careful of dust, etc.) and see if heat is your real problem.  Also,
this sounds like a good system for a case-temperature alarm.  :)

Good luck,

Doug

*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the  world's largest
*** Internet Relay Chat server. 4,168 clients and still growing. :-)
*** Try spider.dal.net on ports 6662-4    (Powered by FreeBSD)
*** Do thou amend thy face, and I'll amend my life. - Henry V