Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:14:04 +0200
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@401.cx>
To:        Rob <rob@pythonemproject.com>
Cc:        "chat@freebsd.org" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cat and computer tales

Rob wrote:
> On to lighter topics... :)
>
> I'm interested in hearing about "Cat clashes with Computer tales."  I
> have noticed that ours seems to regard my laptop as a competitor,
> thinking I have more affection for it then she.  It typically will place
> itself between my head and the keyboard.  One day it was purring very
> loud and annoying me, so I issued the command "cat /dev/dsp > file" and
> let it run for a while.  I later converted it to an mp3 and played it
> back on my Klipsh system.  There was this thundering purring sound and
> me faintly in the background saying "bad kitty, bad kitty".
>
> Rob.

A friend of mine have (or had, dont know if its still alive) a
cat that for some reason saw it as its duty to make sure that my
friends computers was running allright.
The cat was often found sitting in the computer room, looking at
the 4-5 computers located there, and it seemed like he was
checking that all computers was running by watching power leds,
hdd activity leds and listening for fans spinning.
Occasionally, a computer overheated, rebooted or stopped, and if
the cat was around to notice this, he would immediatly go to find
my friend and tell him about it. I saw this happen a few times,
and I think that the PC speaker beeping when the machine booted
up is what triggered the cat. When it heard the beeps, it ran off
to my friend, and started walking back and forth in front of him,
making weird sounds, almost screaming. When my friend went to
check the computers and calmed the cat by saying that they were
running allright, it settled down and went back to sleeping,
eating or whatever it was doing before.
Im almost certain the PC speaker beeps is what triggered this
behaviour. If you were using the computers, and maybe did a
multiple match tab completion or something else that makes the PC
speaker go beep, the cat would immediatly react by looking
nervous and follow your every move.

We had a discussion about this once, and my friend told me that
when the cat was just a kitten, one of the computers lost a fan,
overheated and started beeping like crazy. The cat, curious as
cats always are, went there to examine what the hell all this
noise was about. What exactly happened is anyones guess, but when
my friend entered the room, he found the cat stuck under a
knocked over fulltower case, pressed against the PSU fan,
fighting furiously to free itself from the spinning fan.
The speaker was still beeping, and my guess is that the cat
somehow connected the beating it recieved from the fan with the
beeping of the PC speaker, thus starting its lifelong fear of
beeping PC speakers.