Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 1995 14:22:19 +0900
From:      hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi)
To:        nc@ain.charm.net
Cc:        todd@water.eng.mcmaster.ca, questions@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org, hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: support for Xircom PCMCIA Ethernet adapters?

In article <Pine.BSF.3.91.950416175405.15001A-100000@ain.charm.net>
nc@ain.charm.net writes:

>> Doesn't Linux have a driver supporting some Xircom hardware? I could have

No.  There are no Xircom cards in the supported list of Linux PCMCIA
driver (2.4.5).

>> sworn I have seen those running around. Moreover, I still haven't figured
>> out why companies that make *hardware* hate free software? Its not like

I heard that the president of Xircom hates free software by
philosophycal reasons.  They protect device driver from
reverse-engineering by encrypting the drivers, and I heard that they
won't give us any hardware information without exclusive contracts.

If I am wrong, please someone correct it.

--
	HOSOKAWA, Tatsumi              E-mail: hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp
	  WWW homepage: http://www.mt.cs.keio.ac.jp/person/hosokawa.html