Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 14:17:23 -0700
From:      Tim Sammut <tim@extrateam.com>
To:        'Zachary Drew' <drew0054@tc.umn.edu>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Microsoft sharing over a natd box

If your win98 box works when it is one the same network as the file servers,
what you label LAN, then try a "net use * \\xx.xx.xx.xx\share" from the
private network where xx.xx.xx.xx is the IP of the server.  If that works
and you cannot see the servers in network neighborhood, you need to use WINS
or setup a lmhosts file on your win98 machine.

I use an NT machine behind my freebsd firewall (w/ nat) to connect to
fileservers accross the internet without problem, with the help of an
lmhosts file.  Until you config WINS or a lmhosts file your machine has no
way to resolve the server name into an IP. It works on a local subnet via
broadcasts, but your firewall stopping those local broadcasts, as it should.

tim