Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 1995 10:55:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Lyndon Nerenberg VE7TCP <lyndon@orthanc.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Automounting CD-ROMs

On Thu, 2 Nov 1995, Gary Palmer wrote:

> Lyndon Nerenberg VE7TCP wrote in message ID
> <199511020028.QAA26005@multivac.orthanc.com>:
> > Are any of you familiar with the Irix 'mediad' daemon?
>
> And Solaris 2 has something similar (can't remember what offhand, I
> tend to steer clear of the solaris box at work :-) ). The Solaris one
> works for all removable media AFAIK, including floppies.
>
> I am not in total agreement with the principle. What happens if you
> stick in an audio cd? Does it automatically play it? Ugh.
>
> Gary

Yes, I was just thinking about Solaris' "vold" which seems similar to the
"mediad" that SGI has.  The Sun volume daemon will automount any
DOS-formatted flopy or ISO9660 CD-ROM, then allow any user to eject it
with the "eject" command.  The directory used is /floppy or /cdrom,
respectively.  One oddity is that Sun's floppies have software eject a la
Macintosh, yet lack the ability to detect if a disk is inserted without
spinning up the motor.  Therefore you have to type "volcheck" whenever you
insert a floppy for it to mount it.

One other annoying thing is that vold controls the /device nodes for the
floppy and CD-ROM, so if you want to access, for example, a tar floppy,
you have to go through the /vol/dev pseudo-directory to access the raw
device.  Fortunately, you can configure the behavior in /etc/vold.conf to
disable floppy drive "management" and use mtools or whatever instead.

---Jake