Date:      Mon, 1 Dec 1997 17:01:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: annoying spammers...

[Please excuse any vague assumptions. I'm good at them!]

On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Jamie Bowden wrote:
> We have the domain html.com.  We have had it for over 3 years now, but
> recently millions of spam messages have gone out on the net with a from
> line of 1234567@html.com (the address is always some random number).  All
> the bounce messages come our server, despite the fact that we didn't send
> them.  I had to remove the server's ability to recieve mail at html.com
> about 2 weeks ago, as it was getting several hundred return mails a
> minute.  It now routes all mail to <number>@html.com to /dev/null.  Not
> that it stops my mailbox from filling up with requests from people who
> don't know how to read a fscking header who send mail to us whining about
> being removed from our lists.  *sigh*

Why not send an automated reply to all the people who sent you the mail
asking them also to complain to whoever it is who is sending the junk
mails in the first place, or if you can't find out who is originally
sending them get yourself (some account you don't care about!) on the
mailing list, so at least you can see the headers.

I would hope that someone out there who is responsible for this junk mail
is reasonable enough to fake mail from some nonexistant address,
especially if you ask them nicely.

If not, and if they refuse your quite reasonable request to stop spamming
with your email address you can take it up legally with their service
provider as they are fraudulently pretending to be you (especially if you
set up an account which accepts all mail to <randomnumber>@html.com).

You've got a case of someone pretending to be you, I'd hope that US law
doesn't like that, and you can probably put someone either out of business
or in some fairly deep water. SPAM is one thing, 'framing' (!) someone is
another bucket of 'something-horrible' altogether.

If their service provider doesn't want to know, how about the US courts, I
don'y know about you, but if someone started spamming in my name (or on my
behalf ?) I'd make damn sure they were sorry, even if it did include
hiring some laywers.

	Steve.

Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342
WWW: http://dylan.visint.co.uk/