Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 2010 10:35:43 +0000
From:      "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        claudiu vasadi <claudiu.vasadi@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: apps update from ports

>I was wondering about your update strategy. Do you update your apps as soon
>as a new version is available in the ports ? Or do you follow the "if it
>works, don't touch it" strategy ?

There is no one strategy that pleases everyone.  You'll have to
consider the time required  to perform updates (including some time
for configuring and learning how to use the new software, and for
recovering from occasional problems), and weigh that against the
benefits (if any) of having new software.  Some people prefer to use
the latest software, and others may use a snapshot of the ports tree
that coincides with a stable release, updating only those ports with
known critical security problems in between releases.  Sometimes, you
may wish to make this decision on a port-by-port basis.

>I'm guessing "portupgrade" is your preferred way of doing this hence, do you
>also choose -P or -PP ?

If you don't need to build from source, in order to use non-default
options or flags, or get the very latest versions of the port, then
packages are a good choice.  In addition to portupgrade, the
comparatively lightweight ports-mgmt/portmaster port also has this
functionality.

b.