Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 20:36:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>, Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sparc & api for asynchronous task execution (2)

This is a late response on this (I was away for three weeks), but I can report
some historical context on sparc register windows and performance issues with
them- in going to the DKI/DDI in the SVr4 port, adding the up-tree/down-tree
calls for all the DDI calls cost, initially, a 20% performance hit because we
really started overflowing windows substantially more with deeper call stacks
than had been there in SunOS 4.0. This made the DKI/DDI extremely unpopular
within Sun (for obvious reasons other than rules are annoying).

I believe that compilers have gotten substantially better since then so I
think that this is much less of an issue than it used to be. There are also
some other tricks that can make life easier to manage window spills/unspills.

The orig SPARC architecture specified a maximum of 32 windows. I don't believe
any chips were done deeper than 8- which certainly was and is too small.

-matt