Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 09:28:00 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Do you have some neat configuration files?

On Tue, Sep 09, 1997 at 11:56:40PM +0200, Eivind Eklund wrote:

>> Jordan and I have just been discussing adding some contributed
>> configuration files to the distribution CD-ROMs.  I'm primarily
>> thinking of .<foo>rc scripts for editors, mail readers, window
>> managers and such.
>
> .{zsh,csh,bash,..}rc files too, or is this too personal again?

I don't see any reason why people shouldn't have the choice.  Just one
thing: I'm collecting this stuff, I'm not documenting it.  I'll accept
anything that looks even remotely useful, as long as it's not *very
big*.  I'm expecting most of these files to be less than 10 kB long,
though I'll accept any size as long as it looks useful and there's
space on the CD.

But: people will use these files only if they can understand them.
That means there should be one README file for each contribution.  If
there isn't, people are not likely to pay much attention to them.

>> One size doesn't fit all, of course, and there's a good chance that
>> there are other versions out there which many (even most) people will
>> prefer.  So why not supply them too?  If you have anything that you
>> feel is worth sharing, please let me know.  About the only thing I ask
>> is that the files don't contain too much dead wood (I know mine do :-)
>
> I can try to find time clean up my emacs setup again, if an advanced
> and thus large but well-documented, made-for-snatching setup is of
> interest.  (It's close to 50k of elisp-code, including some emulation
> code for features missing from the emacs distribution but present in
> other editors, e.g. making it possible to move between windows split
> in multiple directions with ctrl-alt-<cursor-keys>)

I wrote my 10 kB limit before reading this.  On the surface, there's
no conflict, especially if it's well documented.

Directory layout:  we have the directory /usr/share/skel/extras.  One
possibility would be to create a subdirectory of that directory for
each collection of config files, along with a description.  Another
would be to create one subdirectory for each program for which we have
config files (like fvwm, bash, emacs, vi, ...).  On the whole, I
think the second approach is more useful, but it'll take more work (on
my part).  What do you others think?

Greg