Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2002 12:47:29 +0700
From:      John Indra <maverick@office.naver.co.id>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Subject:   Re: malloc() and the stock Perl in -CURRENT (and -STABLE)

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 09:28:10PM -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

>FreeBSD 5.0 has (being a developer release) has special diagnostics
>turned on in malloc that causes it to take more time to do allocations.

But... it DOESN'T only happen in -CURRENT. Even Raistlin Majere
<raistlin@e-raist.com> is using a -STABLE or a -RELEASE maybe (he doesn't
state his uname output in the message).

And to confirm, I have just run the script with FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE of Nov
24th 2001: 44 secs! Awfully slow! (Perl 5.005_03 built from buildworld)

And... let me tell you more. I run the script in -CURRENT who has:
$ ll /etc/malloc.conf
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2 Feb  8 14:08 /etc/malloc.conf -> aj

This is a "fresh" -CURRENT (Mar 13th 2002) with Perl 5.6.0 built from
buildworld.

And to clarify things... I don't know what's wrong with malloc() in -CURRENT
and -STABLE (and I don't even know whether it's even "wrong"). All I want is
to let the Perl maintainer in -CURRENT and -STABLE to compile the stock Perl
with its own malloc library, thus Perl in FreeBSD doesn't suffer from this
kind of slowness.

Thanks...

>-Alfred

/john