Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 1995 09:35:26 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, core@freebsd.org
Subject:   Locale stuff: call for conclusion.

(Core-members:  Please send a vote to me on this)

I belive that if not everything, then at least at lot, have been said,
(sometimes even over and over again) but nothing has yet been done.

I think we can also agree to the following things:

1.  The crt0.s thing is a kludge, which should go away as soon as
    something more sane is implemented.

2.  The crt0.s thing is actually a violation of some stds.

3.  There is no harm to make the default case (unsetenv LANG & all that)
    be ISO-8859-1, and this will make a lot of people a lot more happy.
    It may not help Andrey much, but it is a large part of our userbase.

4.  The right solution is to go through the programs, one by one and DTRT
    to them, if it makes sense.  A lot of programs shouldn't care at all,
    cp(1) for instance, whereas other programs it does indeed matter,
    sort(1) for instance.

Based on this I suggest that we:

A)  execute 3.

B)  execute 1. in the other sense of the word, and get crt0.s cleaned up.
    This will happen January 1st 1996 even if A) and/or C) hasn't happened.

C)  execute 4, as soon as anybody volounteer to do it.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
It will be some time yet before progress goes too far... (Poul Henningsen)