Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:34:58 +0000
From:      David Jenkins <david.jenkins@gmail.com>
To:        Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Restarting rc.conf

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:40:50 +0000, Dick Davies
<rasputnik@hellooperator.net> wrote:
> * v.demartino2@virgilio.it <v.demartino2@virgilio.it> [1118 11:18]:
> > I set up a postgresql server under FreeBDSD 5.3 stable.
> >
> > My question: if I modify rc.conf either directly or via sysinstall  how
> > can I make the system be aware of that WITHOUT REBOOTING, in other words,
> > how can I make FreeBSD execute the modified rc.conf?
>
> Why would you want to do that? Just run the postgres startup script
> (/usr/local/etc/rc.d/000.pgsql.sh)

I would imagine for convenience - if their reasons are similar to what
mine were.

i.e if you have made several changes to rc.conf then manually
restarting several services via /etc/rc.d or /usr/local/etc/rc.d or
running ifconfig is monotonous.

It would be substantially easy if there was a tool/command to just
re-read rc.conf ...

David