Date:      Fri, 14 May 1999 15:43:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Mark J. Taylor" <mtaylor@cybernet.com>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ifconfig: changing mac address

One of the purposes of changing the MAC address is for server
redundancy.

Suppose that one of your "important" servers went down.  Wouldn't it
be nice for the alternative server (a mirror) to get the "important"
server's MAC address (and IP address(es), and AppleTalk address, etc.),
so the client's ARP caches don't have to timeout before they can
access the "important" server again (aka the mirror)?

-Mark Taylor
NetMAX Developer
mtaylor@cybernet.com