Date:      Mon, 7 Jun 1999 09:40:58 +0100
From:      "Greg Quinlan" <greg@swlct.sthames.nhs.uk>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FIXED, PANIC & Re: [Q] How stable is FreeBSD 3.X ?

Hi all,

I have been busy fixing my panic problem.

Looking good!!!!

# uname -a; uptime
FreeBSD amanda.qmpgmc.ac.uk 3.2-STABLE FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE #0: Wed May 26
08:43:3
4 BST 1999     greg@amanda.qmpgmc.ac.uk:/usr/src/sys/compile/dns1  i386
 9:19AM  up 11 days, 13:27, 3 users, load averages: 0.01, 0.03, 0.00

I finally had a way of making the server crash every time.

do a "make world" om 3.2-R.....

A so goes the story of grandfathers axe:
("Grandfather axe.... replaced the handle a few times, then the head, but it
was still grandfathers axe")

Good old fashioned repairs....

0. I updated to 3.2-S ... 26 May 1999
1. I replaced the RAM.
2. I replaced the Motherboard.
3. I replaced the SCSI-UW controller.

4. I replaced the Video Card.
5. I replaced the all the Hard Disks.
6. I replaced the Network cards.

What's left?.... ahhhhh ... replaced the Floppy...  then the
CD-ROM....unplugged the
tape... replaced.... all the cables... finally the power supply!

Each time I ran "make world", I could still crash it!

What next.....the case?

NOPE!......

7. I replaced the both CPU's.......... WTF#!

NO CRASH!

Well that must be it then... FreeBSD has blown the guts out of my INTEL PII
333
Processor....Too quick for it. {:-)
....... and before anybody says, "The processor must be getting too hot?" It
was not getting too hot!

Maybe Intel should use FreeBSD to test/rate CPU's?
(Isn't it a rumour that Intel only make one PII CPU and just rate them!)

I'M HAPPY NOW!!

Oh yes ....
[Q] How stable is FreeBSD?
[A] Very Stable!

And a special thanks to
Mark Blackman <tmb@rcru.rl.ac.uk>
for his idea of old fashioned hardware diagnosis.

One last thing; To those users that may be having problems with their FBSD
installs on a more current version

Greg