Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2012 20:12:02 +0300
From:      Kimmo Paasiala <kpaasial@gmail.com>
To:        Reko Turja <reko.turja@liukuma.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Bryan Drewery <bryan@shatow.net>
Subject:   Re: How to remove erroneous deps from pkgng

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Bryan Drewery <bryan@shatow.net> wrote:
> On 7/20/2012 11:57 AM, Reko Turja wrote:
>> I'm testing out the pkgng system and somehow a port managed to pull
>> devel/pkg-config into one low level port polluting whole db. "pkg check"
>> just wants to install the annoying thing. Is there any way to get rid of
>> that erroneous dependency?
>
> Which port is pulling it in?
>

>> In production system, these kind of errors should be somehow
>> correctable, especially if pkgng is to be used with ports as well.
>
> If the port defines invalid dependencies, it's not pkgng's problem, it's
> the port.
>

>> -Reko
>

> --
> Regards,
> Bryan Drewery
> bdrewery@freenode/EFNet

I think this is the effect of "recursive dependencies". If port B
directly depends on port C and A directly depends on B, then port A
has both ports B and C as its dependencies. Replace C with
devel/pkg-config and you get the picture. The port devel/pkg-config is
used in many ports, there's no harm in installing it.