Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 00:10:37 -0400
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        0000-Administrator <root@acromail.ml.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Info files.

On Wed, Aug 13, 1997 at 04:41:35PM -0700, 0000-Administrator wrote:

> Why are there info files for the g++ library but no info files for the
> plain old c library.

Cause the plain of c library isn't by GNU under FreeBSD (and hopefully
never will be.). FreeBSD's libc is derived from Berkeley, and the man
pages are excellent. Most BSD people (well, at least most I know - myself
included) don't like the 'info' system much.... 'man' is the way around
the FreeBSD c library.

> I learned most of what I know about network
> programming from the libc info files for linux --- either that or what is
> some good docs for general app/net programming under freebsd In particular
> the short and to the point examples of how the structures (and their
> definitions) are used (all stuff that is in the gnu c library info files).
> Does freebsd actually use the gnu c library, can someone explain what it
> uses and where I can get a book that explains how to use all the system
> calls? (yes, I do know about man pages)

Well, first of all look in /usr/share/doc/psd/  - the two papers you'll
be most interested in are 20.ipctut and 21.ipc. They're quite good
introductions to the BSD socket interface.

If you're looking for a book, "Advanced Programming in the UNIX
Environment" by Stevens (Addison-Wesley) is excellent. He also has
a Network programming book, and a couple of editions about TCP/IP.
All are highly recomended.

Have fun,

-Mark

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark

	 finger mark@quickweb.com for my PGP key and GCS code
	University degrees are a bit like adultery: you may not want to
	get involved with that sort of thing, but you don't want to be
	thought incapable.	-Sir Peter Imbert