Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 1995 23:33:54 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        chrisc@mail.bbcc.ctc.edu, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ram Memory

>> >Is there somthing I can configure in the kernel.   It seems to be only using 64Meg of memory.
>>
>>    You need to add:
>>
>> options "MAXMEM=<n>"
>>

>> ...where <n> is the number of Kbytes of memory. 98304, for example, should be
>> the correct value for your machine.
>>
>	Wait...it doesn't automatically detect and use all available
>memory?

   It seems like I explain this about once a week. Sigh.
   Due to the manner in which FreeBSD gets the memory size from the BIOS, it
can only detect 16bits worth of Kbytes in size (65535Kbytes = 64MB). If you
have more than 64MB, FreeBSD will only see the first 64MB. To work around
this problem, you need to use the above kernel option. There is a way to get
complete memory information from the BIOS, but we don't have room in the
bootblocks to do it. Someday when lack of room in the bootblocks is fixed,
we'll use the extended BIOS functions to get the full memory information...but
for now we're stuck with the kernel option.

-DG