Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 17:45:34 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
Cc:        Licia <licia@o-o.org>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is there a "how did you hear about us?" form on www.freebsd.org?

Donald Wilde wrote:

> Licia wrote:
> >
> > where it could be used to induce vendors to recognize FreeBSD?  (i.e. 'label
> > your product as FreeBSD Compatible/whatever and we can give you a small
> > banner, for x number of views?'  Please no flames, I know people hate banners,

Licia, flames only mean that you're making people think.  ;^)

I don't hate banners as long as they download in a reasonably small time.
This might actually come true, now that USWest and TCI are racing to see
who gets to my house first, with DSL or Cable Modem support...

> > but I do think it's a significant enough source of influence, especially as
> > targeted as it is, to be of use in promoting FreeBSD.)
> >
> We're going to do a LOT more on the branding issue, including more
> visibility for our commercial supporters. We're not ashamed that FreeBSD
> can be used to make money and we'll all benefit, although homepage
> banners probably won't fly. More likely clickthrough logos on the
> revamped gallery section.

We had originally discussed an entire web section for branded products,
with click-through to their site(s), to cross-advertise the availability
of FreeBSD branded products.   We would offer this page as a target for
their products sites as well.  I imagine FreeBSD Mall will be very
interested in carrying commercial products that are FreeBSD branded as
well, if suitable financial arrangements can be agreed upon.

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                     +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                  wes@softweyr.com