Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2001 10:41:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FTP server behind NAT

Greetings all,

I've seen this thrown around a bit on the list archives, but none of the
solutions presented seem to work for me.  I've got a FreeBSD box with 2
NICs acting as a simple firewall.  No special firewall rules, just the
typical natd setup with a few redirect_port's to direct specific ports to
certain machines on the internal LAN.  One of my internal machines is a
Windows NT 4.0 server with IIS, running an FTP and WWW server.  There are
no problems with the web server, but I'm running into what seems to be a
common problem with the FTP server.  The FTP client can connect, and can
cd into different directories and download files.  It cannot, however, get
a file listing -- the connection just times out.  I've told natd to
forward ports 20 and 21, both TCP and UDP, to the internal address of the
NT server, but to no avail.  The client always seems to run in passive
mode, too -- I can force a client into passive mode, but not into active
mode.  Anyone have any suggestions of how I can make this work?

Thanks in advance.