Date:      Sun, 27 May 2007 13:22:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Shaun Branden <shaun@pcuse.com>
Subject:   Re: updating xorg-libraries 7.2 to 7.2.1

On Sun, 27 May 2007, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
>> Matthew Seaman wrote:

>>>     sh /usr/ports/Tools/scripts/mergebase.sh
>>>
>>> before proceeding to install whatever ports you want.
>
>> My experience is that simply having the symlink /usr/X11R6->/usr/local
>> is totally sufficient.
>>
>> However it seems to me that what the port building procedure should now
>> do is the following:
>>
>> * if /usr/X11R6 exists as a directory, it should issue an error message
>> like it does now.
>>
>> * if /usr/X11R6 doesn't yet exist, silently create the symlink.
>>
>> This will mirror how it used to behave, in that if /usr/local or
>> /usr/X11R6 did not exist, they would be created as needed.
>
> Oh, agreed to that.  However, there are still more changes needed
> beyond that:
>
> Stopping the system running periodic jobs from /usr/X11R6/etc/periodic
>
> Stopping the system running startup scripts from /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d
>
> Stopping the system searching for manpages from /usr/X11R6/man
>
> The last is fairly trivial, but realise that the first two mean that
> with the /usr/X11R6 -> /usr/local link in place all
> /usr/local/etc/periodic jobs would get run twice, and even more
> importantly all /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ startup scripts would also run
> twice.
>
> Until there are new system releases incorporating the necessary changes
> in /etc/defaults/rc.conf and /etc/defaults/periodic.conf it will be
> necessary to override some of the default settings.  In /etc/rc.conf:
>
>   local_startup="/usr/local/etc/rc.d"
>
> In /etc/periodic.conf:
>
>   local_periodic="/usr/local/etc/periodic"
>
> and for completeness sake, comment out the 'X11R6' lines in
> /etc/manpath.conf

I think that the easiest way (i.e. least disruption) is to add to each of
the X11R6 scripts a test at their beginning to see if X11R6 is a symlink
to /usr/local, and have the scripts do nothing if this is the case.  This
way people who haven't yet switched to xorg-7.2 will not be disadvantaged
in any way.  (I don't think simply testing to see if X11R6 is a symlink by
itself will be sufficient because I bet that some people already have
symlinks like X11R6->X11 or such like.)

Also, the last change you propose vis a vis man pages, is that actually
necessary - I would have thought that the overhead in searching both local
and X11R6 would be fairly negligable.

Stephen