Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 23:12:20 +0900
From:      Hidetoshi Shimokawa <simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        kaleb@ics.com
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: time_t and clock_t

kaleb> >  According to /usr/include/machine/ansi.h, time_t and clock_t are "int" on
kaleb> > alpha and "long" on i386 respectively. I know "int" on alpha and "long" on
kaleb> > i386 are same size 32bit, but I don't think it's resonable that time_t on
kaleb> > alpha is "int".
kaleb>
kaleb> FWIW, time_t and clock_t are also int on Digital Unix.
kaleb>
kaleb> > At least, "tv_sec" part of timeval is declared as "long".
kaleb> > Why don't we change time_t as "long"?
kaleb>
kaleb> Are time_t and clock_t supposed to be 32-bit types? I'll have to check
kaleb> my POSIX specs when I get to work.

I don't have POSIX specs, so please let me know what specs says.
In linux kernel, linux/include/asm-alpha/posix_types.h defines:
typedef long            __kernel_time_t;
and linux/include/linux/types.h defines:
typedef __kernel_time_t         time_t;

kaleb> > It should make our life easier.
kaleb>
kaleb> How so? Using the right type name consistently should be all that's
kaleb> necessary to make life easier, right?

Some (old) programs includes a line something like:
long time();
and fails to be compiled. Of course, we should delete the line.
(I found some during package building)

/\ Hidetoshi Shimokawa
\/  simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp
PGP public key: finger -l simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp