Date:      Thu, 9 Feb 2006 01:26:38 -0500
From:      Ryan R <air.lightz@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ath patch+hal for test

Hi all!

Just reporting in..  The patch worked EXCELLENT, not a single error
during patching (Which I had loads of before) and not a single issue
compiling the kernel.  Here's exactly what I did:

1. Popped in my original  6.0-BOOTONLY ISO image, with a wired
ethernet connection plugged in.

2. Chose the MINIMAL install, and only chose the cvsup-without-gui
package, bash, and lynx (to view the handbook or websites).

3. Edited the stock 'standard-supfile' and synced my source tree (To
6.1-PRERELEASE)

4. cd /usr/src , then patch -p0 < /path/to/ath.patch (You have to
manually type in which files to patch though once the process starts,
the ath.patch refers to a customized /usr/ncvs directory which doesn't
exist) and patched each file respectively.

5. cd /usr/src/sys/contrib/dev and renamed the original ath directory,
unpacked the ath_hal-20051212.tgz here and renamed it in place of the
original ath

6. make buildworld , make buildkernel , make installkernel, reboot,
mergemaster -p, make installworld

7. created a real simple /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf file for my network,
with my WPA2 PSK and home network SSID info in it

8. added 'ifconfig_ath0=3D"ssid my_ssid WPA DHCP" ' to /etc/rc.conf

9. manually loaded the if_ath module to make sure I got the dmesg info
and it displayed itself properly, which it did, then added
'if_ath_load=3D"YES" , and , wlan_ccmp_load=3D"YES" ' to my
/boot/loader.conf file to make sure they loaded automatically;
rebooted again for good measure and to bring everything up, and
voila!!works like a charm!  My WPA2 home network finally works with my
laptop!!

Just wanted to say thanks again, I can now actually make use of this
laptop and use it all over the house

Excellent job!!  Thanks!!
Cheers!

-Ryan