Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 1997 01:04:54 +0100 (MET)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        hamby@aris.jpl.nasa.gov (Jake Hamby)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sun Workshop compiler vs. GCC?

According to Jake Hamby:
> I just downloaded a 30-day trial of the newest version of Sun's C++
> compiler (ProCompiler 4.2), which is supposed to offer much better
> optimization than previous versions.  With the -fast option (which turns
> on full optimization, plus 486, Pentium, or PPro optimization as
> appropriate), it does seem to take about 3 times as long to compile
> anything as GCC (on my 486DX4/100), and so I would hope that the generated
> code is much better.
[... lots removed ...]

I seem to remember 4.2 autogenerating some kind of profiler info, so that if
you compile something, and just run it once, and then recompile, the compiler
will see what took most time, and go heavy on optimisations there. Neat
feature. Don't know how well it works, though...  Waiting for it to pop
up in g++ too.

Speaking of CC and g++... At work we use CC, and I'm getting fairly used
to templates, WORKING exceptions (WOW! Who ever heard of such a thing?),
and all the thread thingies, like mutexes, etc, default Just Working.
So... Does anyone know when g++ will handle this? Would be SO nice to have
at home too, for the pet projects. Last time I tried g++ on one of the
files written at work, it barfed even PARSING the throw clauses in the
function declaration. :( And catching a subclass with a catch clause for
a baseclass? Forget it... *sigh* I'd really like a status report on this.

Also, does templates work as they should in g++ (Template database, or so)?
If not, what's the status on that?

Lastly... with 2.2-RELEASE and onward... will the libc_r be replacing the
standard libc, or what's the deal with that? I don't really understand
how one would handle two libcs.

  /Mikael