Date:      Sat, 26 Dec 1998 21:46:55 -0500
From:      "Stephane E. Potvin" <sepotvin@videotron.ca>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New bootloader and network iface

Mike Smith wrote:

> > I have to be able to boot a kernel over the network.
> > Looking at the new bootloader. I gather from the code that
> > it should be possible given that the right device support
> > is added. Does anyone know if any nic is already supported
> > and if so where I could find the code? If there are no nic
> > drivers available right now is there any doc about what
> > the bootloader is expecting the driver to look like apart
> > from the code? Btw, I can't use nic boot roms to do it.
>
> There's no documentation, apart from the code at this stage, no. Network
> booting works on the Alpha, although it has some rough edges at the
> moment.  If you're interested in working on this, I'd be more than
> happy to help you with it.

Well, I surely could use some help :)

Could you explain to me how does the match mechanism works for
netif_driver devices? Especially how the select of the right iface
(de, lnc, ...) is supposed to be done.

Btw, I was unable to get the loader to work until I aligned
then end variable to a MEMNODE_SIZE_MASK boundary in the call
to setheap in "main.c". Is is really needed?

Thanks in advance!

Stephane E. Potvin
Galea Network Security