Date:      Fri, 05 Dec 2008 04:38:53 -0800
From:      "Dr. Julian H. Zhitnitsky" <drz@dentistsherwood.com>
To:        "freebsd-isp@freebsd.org" <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   A Holiday Survival Guide for Your Smile!

Greetings from Dr=2E Julian H=2E Zhitnitsky!

A Holiday Survival Guide for Your Smile

The holidays are upon us, and =91tis the season for a bit of togetherne=
ss (and a lot of indulgence)=2E We don=92t all celebrate the same holid=
ays or adhere to the same belief systems, but there is one thing that s=
eems to unite us all: comfort food=2E

Cold weather and sweets go hand-in-hand=2E What=92s a good snowball fig=
ht without a warm cup of cocoa to come home to? Even in warmer climates=
, it=92s difficult to dissuade dreams of sugar plums after a good night=
 of classic movies with your family=2E So, while this "soul food" may b=
e good for your spirits, take a moment to think about what it=92s doing=
 to your teeth=2E

How Could Something So Good Be So Bad?

Sugar can wreck havoc on your pearly whites=2E It=92s a complicated pro=
cess, but here=92s the scoop=2E Bacteria in your mouth use your sweets =
as energy, growing and multiplying faster than they would otherwise=2E =
Some bond with the sugar to form a sticky glue called plaque=2E Plaque,=
 in turn, produces acid=2E The acid dissolves the minerals that make yo=
ur tooth enamel hard, and the surface becomes porous=2E The acid causes=
 these tiny holes in the enamel to become bigger until one large hole a=
ppears=2E This is a cavity=2E

Does This Mean No More?

While ideally we would never expose our teeth to sugar or anything else=
 that promotes tooth decay, that=92s just not realistic=2E All we can d=
o is try to minimize the damage=2E Don=92t let your holiday routine int=
errupt your dental care regimen=2E Brush your teeth at least twice a da=
y with a fluoride toothpaste (unless you=92re a young tyke), and floss =
at least once=2E

If you decide to indulge in more sweets than usual, it=92s a good idea =
to brush more often=2E If you don=92t have your toothbrush on hand, rin=
se your mouth out with warm water=2E Certain sugar-free gums can help a=
s well=2E Choose those with Xylitol, an artificial sweetener that can h=
elp prevent tooth decay=2E And finally, try to mix up your snacks=2E If=
 you=92re eating a sugary treat, try to also eat a bit of cheese (or a =
similar protein) as well=2E

Nothing warms a chilly night like a big smile, so be sure to protect yo=
urs=2E Please do not hesitate to call us at (818)785-8388 if you have q=
uestions regarding proper dental care, or would like to schedule a chec=
k-up or cleaning=2E As always, your continued good health is our top pr=
iority=2E

If you have questions regarding dental health, please call our office a=
t (818)785-8388 or email us at drz@dentistsherwood=2Ecom today=2E

Best Regards,
Dr=2E Julian H=2E Zhitnitsky

P=2ES=2E If you have any friends or family members who you feel could u=
se our services, please don't hesitate to have them call us=2E We'll be=
 sure to take good care of them=2E