Date:      Fri, 10 May 2013 16:16:46 -0400
From:      William Bulley <web@umich.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   9.1-STABLE with xterm-292 oddity

Recently (last week) I upgraded two systems to 9.1-STABLE.  One system
is i386 and the other is amd64.  The upgrades were done about one day
apart.  While I have not checked every single commit, for the purposes
of this problem, I am assuming these two systems have the same ports,
src, and docs changes applied.  This is how I began these upgrades:

   % cd /usr
   % rm -rf src ports doc
   % svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/stable/9 src
   % svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/doc/head doc
   % svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/ports/head ports

Note: these systems are desktop systems, not headless servers.  The
hardware of both systems is nearly identical, in particular, the
graphics card (ATI) is identical on each system.

After each upgrade, I wiped all my ports and rebuilt all the ports
on the list of ports I use on these systems.  While these two lists
are slightly different, the "basics" are the same in both cases.

I run Xorg on both systems along with open-motif and xterms:

xorg-7.5.2
open-motif-2.3.4
xterm-292

The /var/db/ports/xterm/options files on both systems are identical.

# This file is auto-generated by 'make config'.
# Options for xterm-292
_OPTIONS_READ=xterm-292
_FILE_COMPLETE_OPTIONS_LIST=256COLOR DABBREV DECTERM GNOME LUIT PCRE WCHAR
OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=256COLOR
OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=DABBREV
OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=DECTERM
OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=GNOME
OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=LUIT
OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=PCRE
OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=WCHAR

Also the /usr/ports/x11/xterm/work/xterm-292/xtermcfg.h files are the
same on both systems.

The oddity is this: on one system, when I iconify/minimize/close
an open xterm window, the resulting small icon window holds a
pixmap (48x48) that is monochrome.  It resembles an outline drawing
of an old style dumb terminal.  On the other system, when I perform
the same operation (close/iconify an xterm window), the resulting
small icon window contains a color pixmap (48x48) of our Beastie!

While I have an .Xdefaults file in my home directory on both systems,
and there are XTerm resources configured therein, I do not configure
any resources that control xterm icons.  In fact, those .Xdefaults
files are identical in the XTerm resource lines.

I have rebuilt the x11/xterm port on the system with the color Beastie
pixmap for closed/iconic xterm windows using the following steps:

# cd /usr/ports/x11/xterm
# make deinstall
# /bin/rm -rf work
# make install

The results are the same as before, unfortunately.  Interesting enough,
one can see the color Beastie pixmap _inside_ the unstripped xterm
executable on each system using this command:

   % strings /usr/local/bin/xterm | less

The Beastie embedded pixmap appears after scrolling to about the 83%
point (and runs up to about the 93% point) of the strings output.

I am at a loss as to how one system is displaying the unwanted color
pixmap while the other is showing the desired monochrome pixmap.

Any ideas, or suggested avenues for further detective work, on this
issue would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Regards,

web...

--
William Bulley                     Email: web@umich.edu