Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 10:31:34 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
Cc:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1014402603.cd6cb2@mired.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Natural stone tables

On Monday 18 February 2002 01:03, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> writes:
> > I can see that.  I meant to ask earlier and got rushed, but is there
> > anyone who, in an official capacity, makes complaints to ISPs, etc
> > concerning this sort of thing?

> > Someone should be lobbying the government to make some laws that can be
> > used against these people.  I know a few states have started to do some
> > things, and that's good, but there's more that needs done.
>
> I half-heard a TV snews report in which I recall the head of the FTC
> asking people to send them messages from commercial spammers and that
> they'd go after them.  I'm not sure what law/rull the spammers would be
> violating; I thought that's why the state laws where being made. I think
> they were especially (or maybe only?) asking for SPAM of the chain
> letter and pyramid scheme kind.  So I'm guessing it isn't the SPAM itself
> that would be the spammer's violation, but the business practices being
> engaged in via the SPAM.   IIRC, http://www.ftc.gov is where you look
> for the place to send your SPAM.

I've used to email them every single spam mail I got (uce@ftc.gov) and
never got a single response back whatsoever.  Obvisiouly they don't know
the first thing about communication: that if you never reply, people start to
wonder if there's even anyone there.  But they're the government, what do
you expect.

> I've enjoyed my new ISP (since Sep'01).  I've got my e-mail on a couple
> of web sites and these archives and I get less than one SPAM per day
> (other than the many from freebsd.org).

I'll trade you.  RoadRunner, since the whole AOL thing, has been a hotbed of
spam.  I'm fairly sure that they've sold off my email address to spammers, and
I'm wondering what I can do about it.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services