Date:      Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:25:17 +0100
From:      Jose M Rodriguez <josemi@freebsd.jazztel.es>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rcNG changes/aditions

El Martes, 15 de Marzo de 2005 23:21, Doug Barton escribi=F3:
> Jose M Rodriguez wrote:

> >>Why is this necessary? My understanding is that modules load
> >>themselves when called. Do the sound modules do this differently?
> >
> > This is not needed (I think). You can load modules
> > via /boot/loader.conf, but may be more confortable if we 'go
> > modules' in a future.
>
> I don't think you understand what I'm saying. For most modules, it is
> not actually necessary to pre-load them at all. For example, I have
> cd9660 as a module, it's not compiled into my kernel. When I mount a
> cd9660 file system the kernel module is automatically loaded. There
> is no need to pre-load it. The same is true of (most) modules that
> create devices, such as ndis.

This is true for, more or less 'logical' modules, But not for 'hard'=20
ones. You must have the sound support compiled into the kernel or the=20
needed modules loaded for sound to be detected.

I think this can be needed also for buses like firewire or usb.  And for=20
net 'hard' modules like if_fxp.

> I don't know the specifics of the sound module, I compile it into my
> kernel. However, as you pointed out in the rare case that it's
> necessary to actually pre-load a kernel module (such as agp), we have
> a mechanism for that in loader.conf already. I don't think that
> adding that code to rc.subr is a useful exercise, and in fact I would
> oppose it as needless duplication of effort.

Allthough there are things like agp (now in generic kernel) that really=20
need to be loaded at boot, doing this at rc time is now used (grep=20
kldload /etc/rc.d/*) and have also pros.

In the sound case, you may boot in a just installed system, add=20
'mixer_modules' to /etc/rc.conf as needed for your sound car, and do an=20
`/etc/rc.d/mixer restart'.

You may get your sound configured and working without needing a reboot.

Also, I think that our module system is now strong enough to comment out=20
things like usb or firewire from GENERIC and use module support in rc=20
for that.

But this may require more work and testing.  This kind of patches may=20
open the way to 'go modules' for many things now in GENERIC, or of=20
general use like sound.

> >>Please submit this as followup to the PR.
> >
> > Will do.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Doug

=2D-