Date:      Tue, 21 May 1996 11:03:09 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        smbrown@cisco.com (Stephen M. Brown)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install boo-boo

> Went through the initial boot from boot.flp, creating a freebsd partion on
> wd1 leaving wd0 untouched but choosing the bootmanager option. Didn't
> actually have the distribution but went through the process anyway, perhaps
> my first mistake?

Choosing the boot manager option when installing on a second drive
is a bad thing.  The boot manager is written to the first drive.  You
must now recover.

There are two potential types of recovery:

1)	wd0 did *not* have OnTrack or another MBR based LBA using
	INT 13 geometry translator

	Identification: You will see one or more valid partitions
	when you boot from floppy and run fdisk.

	If this is the case, then the standard MBR was overwritten
	by the boot selector from BSD.  Then, when it went to mark
	a partition active, it couldn't find one, and now you have
	no active partition.

	Fix: boot a DOS floppy and run fdisk.  Mark one of the
	partitions active.  Problem solved.

2)	wd0 *did* have OnTrack or another MBR based LBA using INT 13
	geometry translator

	Identification: You will see one partition when you boot
	from floppy and run fdisk.  You will not recognize the
	partition ID.

	Because the BIOS geometry is unknown to BSD because there
	is no way to call INT 13 AH=0x08 AL=0x80 from the kernel
	(needs a VM86() call gate), the replacement boot selector
	MBR overwrote the first part of the OnTRack or other MBR
	based LBA using INT 13 geometry translator.  You will
	need to reinstall it from the disks which came with your
	system.  There should be an option to allow you to do
	this without overwriting the partition table data.

	Once this is done, you need to boot DOS from the repaired
	drive do that the translator is installed during the boot
	process (remember that it was not installed when BSD
	wrote the MBR because BSD does not use BIOS to write the
	disk).  Once you have booted to a DOS prompt (or, for
	Windows95, "Start, Shutdown..., Restart the computer in
	MS-DOS mode, Yes"), then you can install OS-BS.EXE from
	the DOS command line.  This will put it over top of the
	real DOS MBR, which is at a translated offset instead of
	being at te start of the drive.

> Now when the machine starts I get: NO ROM BASIC, SYSTEM HALTED and hangs.

If the ROM POST initialization portion of the boot can't find a
bootable device (by finding a valid boot record with an active
partition), it will attempt to jump to the ROM BASIC location.

Since most machines do not have the ROM BASIC because of licensing
for BIOS clones, it has been replaces with a little code hunk to
print out that message.

You'd get the same message if you unplugged all the hard drives in
almost any PC (almost, because some of them would start BASIC 8-)).

> How do I make the boot disk (C:) available again? Tried doing fdisk /mbr to
> recreate the MBR on the boot disk but no go. Please help.

Bad plan, but you haven't damaged anything irreversably yet.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.