Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 2002 23:00:10 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>, FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: GNOME vs KDE

On Sunday 31 March 2002 10:17 pm, Peter Leftwich wrote:
| I've noticed several posts referring to gnome, and very few to KDE.
|
| What are the relative differences of these two windows managers?

KDE is great and Gnome is lame :-)

No, seriously, it's mostly a matter of taste.  KDE strives to be a complete
but relatively simple and user-friendly desktop environment.  It gives an
environment which will not seem to far afield to those used to Microsoft
Windows.

Gnome is more "Unixy" in its conception; it is flexible to a fault, and it
separates the desktop environment from the window manager more.

Thus you can, for all practical purposes, run KDE *only* with its only window
manager, but you can use the Gnome desktop with a number of different Window
managers.

Either is a big honkin' monster

| My friends seem to prefer KDE.

Your friends have good taste :-)

Seriously, I had Windows, the operating system, but actually rather like
Windows, the Windowing system.  If you feel the same way you will almost
certainly prefer KDE.  If you like have a gazillion knobs to twist and
thousands of skins and lots of fancy transparent effects and all that jazz,
then Gnome is more likely to appeal.

But frankly over time they are each adopting both the strenghts and
weaknesses of the other -- KDE gets more complex; Ghome becomes tweakable to
be very KDE-like . . .

It's really a matter of taste.  Try to find friends with each and see which
you like.

Or if you have no idea, run KDE.

Why?

Because most of your friends prefer it, so they are running it, so when you
get stuck they'll be better at helping you if you run KDE.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                ME -->  http://www.babbleon.org