Date:      03 May 2000 04:48:13 -0700
From:      asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports projects

 * From: Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>

 * This has long been on my wishlist: what I envision is a once-off
 * "sorting" process which tests bandwidths to all MASTER_SITEs in a
 * nominated list of ports and maintains a database sorted by increasing
 * bandwidth to the destination. This could be regenerated at will by a
 * bsd.port.mk target.

Yes, that will probably work, but it's also a lot of work to do!

 * >  @  Better handling of restrictions (what if depended port is
 * >     illegal, is interactive, etc.) during package build (status: none)
 *
 * OpenBSD have taken steps in this direction by defining a set of variables
 * which specify whether a given action is permitted (mirroring, putting on
 * CDROM, building package, etc)

I'm talking about how to untangle the mess when you have a port that
depends on something in a different redistribution class.  Adding new
classes is not going to help. :)

 * OpenBSD have also done a sweep for port license information, which is
 * something we've neglected.

Yes!  I even have a mail from jdp about this I got a while ago, which
got buried somewhere in my mailbox in the pre-release shuffle....

 * Another item on my wishlist is for ports to respect CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS/CC/CXX
 * for controlling the build. There are far too many ports which don't
 * respect all of these though, so I don't think a bento warning would be
 * effective.

Honestly, I don't really mind if a port doesn't respect some of the
above as long as it doesn't use "-g" or "-O0" or something equally
inane as their compilation option.  If the user wants to debug the
port, they have to go into the source directory anyway.

Satoshi