Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 1996 17:15:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@cs.virginia.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   instability with 2.1.5 kernel

Hi folks,

	When shutting down my 2.1.5-RELEASE system, the kernel is failing
with alarming regularity to flush all of the buffers.  I frequently see
about a dozen 4's and the a "giving up" message before the system
reboots.  When the systme comes up the root filesystem and sometimes
others are not marked clean and must be fsck'ed.

	Has anyone else seen this?

	I have also seen a 'shutdown -h +0' go directly to rebooting.

	These problems did not appear until after upgrading from 2.1.  I
have not seen any wierdness with prior version.

	Bad hardware or a bug?

thanks,
	Adrian

adrian@virginia.edu                ---->>>>| Support your local programmer,
System Administrator                 --->>>| STOP Software Patent Abuses NOW!
NVL, NIIMS and Telemedicine Labs       -->>| For an application and information
Member: League for Programming Freedom   ->| see: http://www.lpf.org/