Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 23:31:30 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
Cc:        Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: allowing pings out from my firewall

Dan O'Connor wrote:

> >See the "Setting-up a Dual-Homed Host..." at
> >http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/. He has an example of
> >allowing ping and another for setting up traceroute. The traceroute
> >only permits 30 hop's.
>
> Over the past few days, I've been working on optimizing the rules shown on
> my cheat sheet. They should work a little more efficiently now...
>
> Rules are now included for allowing outgoing pings, but denying incoming
> pings; and the traceroute rule includes all 90 traceroute ports.
>
> BTW, the direct route to the Dual-Homed Host page is
> http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/sheet.cgi?ipfw

You should have see the first one I passed on. It was the cdrw. I
don't know how it popped up in the address line. I got a "what does
that have to do with firewalls back" and I did a real double take. To
late to do anything but grin :).

> Let me know if you have any problems...

Well, I am having slight problems and I'm going down to the basement
where that computer is to work on it. I think I need some extra stuff
but I'm not sure what. I'll look up your new changes and see what they
do for me. I had some activity come in from a 61.x.x.x and a 202.x.x.x
on port 23 that I tried to traceroute and it went to la-la land. Since
there was no reason for them coming in on port 23 I just did a deny
all for that network.

I also have a bunch of udp 121's that I log to 100 and stop logging. I
think about denying them and try to log others doing the same thing
but there are higher priorities. I sldo have a few NETBEUI packets
other than that, the DSL is pretty quiet. Tcpdump, on the other hand,
sees everything and is active at times :).

Kent

> --Dan
>
> --
> Dan O'Connor
> On Matters of Most Grave Concern
>     http://www.mostgraveconcern.com
> FreeBSD Cheat Sheets
>     http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://kstewart.urx.com/kstewart/bomber.jpg