Date:      Sun, 15 Jun 1997 18:48:31 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        rinunez@telcel.net.ve (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ricardo_N=FA=F1ez?=)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel Sources

> Dear Gentlemen,
>
> Iīve just installed FreeBSD 2.2.1 over an IDE disk. I told it to install
> the binaries only.
>
> I noticed that to modify my kernel to accept ATAPI CD-ROM DRIVES, I have to
> have kernel sources.
>
> OK, I run /stand/sysinstall to "post-install" all kernel (with sources). It
> ckecks not only "all kernel" option, but "user" option. No way to check the
> "kernel" option only. When I commit to go on, it tells me it canīt find in
> my DOS partition "bin, doc, manpages, proflibs, dict, or info". Well, I
> HAVE that files there. No idea whatīs happening.
>
> Is there any way to install from my dos partition kernel sources WITHOUT
> sysinstall?

You can install the kernel sources with /stand/sysinstall. Just choose
the intimidating `7 Custom' from the main menu, where it says `for
experts'. From that menu select `4 Distributions' and than `7 Custom'.
Remember to select a menu item by hiliting it with the cursor keys and
than pressing the *space* key -- *not* the enter key. After that
choose sources and finally FreeBSD kernel.

After selecting the kernel source distribution you have to choose your
media and then commit your selections.

This reads more complicated than it is!

Wolfgang