Date:      Tue, 13 Jan 2009 23:05:50 -0600
From:      Tom Judge <tom@tomjudge.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        cperciva@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using FreeBSD Update to deploy system updates from custom builds

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone was using freebsd-update to manage deployment
of custom FreeBSD builds to there systems.

Here is the scenario, I have 2 binary build servers at the moment (one
for i386 and one for amd64) and currently we stage the deployments of
updates on NFS servers at each site.  We use make installworld/kernel to
update the servers from read only src and obj NFS mounts.

I'm now looking to remove the src trees from the NFS servers and
possibly the obj trees and use freebsd-update to deploy and maintain the
custom build installation and updates.

So I have 2 questions:

    1) Does this seem sensible?  It seems within scope of what
freebsd-update was designed to do.

    2) How does one go about building the binary distributions that
freebsd-update expects to be on the update server?

Thanks

Tom