Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:10:15 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Fabrizio Ravazzini <freefabri@yahoo.it>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mail Toaster CLUSTER

Fabrizio Ravazzini wrote:

> Thanks a lot Sascha for the help, but how can I assign
> connections 'round robin' in the DNS, is there some
> documentation that can help me doing such thing?

Read the bible: DNS & bind, Liu and Albitz, if memory servers right.
Basically, adding several A records for one name will automatically do
DNS round robin.

> The DNS must be in my internal LAN?

It must be the primary DNS for your load-balanced setup.

> --- Sascha Lucky Luck <bofh@online.ie> ha scritto: >
> Quoting Fabrizio Ravazzini <freefabri@yahoo.it>:
> >
> > > Is it possible with FreeBSD to make a "cluster" of
> > > two machines (ix86) that when one goes down for
> > > some fault the other takes care of the service so
> > > that Mail is still available?
> >
> > Fabrizio,
> >
> > set up 2 mail servers and CNAME <mail.foo.bar> to
> > both servers in DNS.
> > [snip]

MX records have to be A records, CNAMES are invalid.

As DNS & bind tells, just have two mail servers accept SMTP for your
domain. Assign different names and A records, as well as set both as MX
for your domain.

If one goes down, the other will get the mail automatically.

HTH
-Christoph Sold