Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 01:46:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   login.conf Processing

I have a question about the way in which login.conf is processed. I
have not found the answer after looking in manpages for login.conf(5)
and getcap(3).

What happens if the same value is entered multiple times? In my
specific case, I was considering the path defined in login.conf for
root. The root entry is simply,

root:\
        :ignorenologin:\
        :tc=default:

And the path in default is,

default:\
        .
	.
	.
        :path=~/bin /bin /usr/bin /usr/local/bin:\
	.
	.
	.

I'd like to have /sbin and /usr/sbin always in root's path. How do I
add this? If I do,

root:\
        :ignorenologin:\
	:path=~/bin /bin /usr/bin /usr/local/bin /sbin /usr/sbin:\
        :tc=default:

Will this be clobbered by the default when we look there (or are
they combined or what)? Alternately, is,

root:\
        :ignorenologin:\
        :tc=default:\
	:path=~/bin /bin /usr/bin /usr/local/bin /sbin /usr/sbin:

This a proper login.conf entry? This should give the result I want in
the case where the path is clobbered by the last entry. But I've
_always_ seen the 'tc' as the last entry. Is that required?

Along these lines, I would want to add /usr/X11R6/bin to the xuser.

BTW, why were these changes in paths made in the 2.2.x to 3.x move?

Thanks.