Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 1999 14:58:00 -0600
From:      dannyman <dannyman@dannyland.org>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux vs FreeBSD

On Wed, Feb 17, 1999 at 09:14:09PM +0100, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> Actually, nowadays people have only vague ideas about Linux, arrive in a
> shop, and want the Linux operating system. Unix? Huh? Oh, it's Linux
> compatible? Linux has a lot of press, even in the idiot PC rags, and
> many users from the Wintel universe who pick up on it have no idea of
> the Unix universe at all.

I look at it all as a metaphor for 19th Century American Immigration.

Alright, I'm a Chicagoan.  Most of the huddled masses of Windows users from
the backward old country of Microsoft are riding over on their CDROMs.  Linux
is New York, and when the newbies see that Giant Penguin statue greeting them
to the promised land, they think the Big Red Hat Apple of New Linux York is
it.

The smart ones though, hop on a train to Chicago.  Some of us knew somebody in
FreeBSD and so we skipped around the Big Red Hat Apple altogether and think
that someday when we've got a spare PC, we'll take a trip to visit the Giant
Penguin that is doing our Great Free Nation so much good in bringing us good
users.

Alright, it's not a great metaphor, but I like it. :)

-danny

--
dannyman - http://www.dannyland.org/~dannyman/