Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 07:44:39 -0400
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        Matt Peterson <matt@peterson.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3Com's all-in-one XJack modem/NIC

On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 09:34:22PM -0700, Matt Peterson wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone has had luck with 3Com's new PC Card
> <http://www.3com.com/mobile/pccards/3cxfem656c.html>, it's feature the
> famous XJack connector along with 'autosencing technology' to determine it
> the cable is ethernet or modem, hmm.  Also it apprantly flashes or some
> for status.  I didn't see it menitoned on PAO (speaking of which, when can
> we expect 4.0-RELEASE PAO floppies?).  Thx.

I don't think there will be any 4.0-PAO floppies. We are busy merging PAO
into the main FreeBSD repository. As of recently, there have been a number
of MFPAO3's and newcard commits by Iwasaki-san and Warner Losh.

If the 3CXFEM656C is a Cardbus card (as I assume based on the last alpha
character in its name), then you'll have to wait until we have Cardbus code
in the tree (which MAY be in by 4.1, but more likely 4.2).

However, if it's anything like the other 3Com cards, writing the actual
driver will be easy (what's needed at this point is the base code for
pccard + cardbus).

So, as soon as we get done with the base code, I'm sure that if someone
loans a 3CXFEM656C card, a driver will be written.

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>