Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 09:17:30 +0200
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
Cc:        cracauer@cons.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG, dcs@newsguy.com, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG, msmith@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VMware detection code in boot loader

In <200006190356.e5J3uC502403@lor.watermarkgroup.com>, Luoqi Chen wrote:
> > In <200006131540.e5DFekh04320@lor.watermarkgroup.com>, Luoqi Chen wrote:
> > > It is not the loader's job to detect the underlying
> > > hardware configuration.
> >
> > I disagree.  I would like to tell which machine I am booting on to
> > choose an appropriate kernel.
> >
> Eventually (it may take a while) we should be able to boot any i386/AT
> based machine with a single kernel which dynamically loads drivers for
> available hardware (and different locking modules for UP and SMP for that
> matter).

I have such a kernel for all my machines except SMP.

However, I still boot different UP kernels on each machines for
testing purposes:
- different 'cpu I..._CPU' settings
- different floating emulators
- much or few RAM

I don't want to detect all hardware, what I need is one way to tell
each machine from each other, like a hostid.  The ethernet address of
the first card could be.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer/