Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 17:35:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        krentel@dreamscape.com (Mark W. Krentel)
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rc.firewall rule 200

Mark W. Krentel writes:
> > The point of these two rules is to disallow someone on another
> > (locally networked) machine from doing this:
> >
> >   ifconfig lo0 down delete
> >   route add 127.0.0.0 <your-machine-ip-address>
> >   telnet 127.0.0.1
>
> Ok, good point.  But this attack can only be launched from one hop
> away, right?  A legitimate machine would not forward a packet destined
> for 127.0.0.1, so the attacker has to be one hop away.

Right.

> But my original question still stands.  Isn't it equally important to
> block packets from 127.0.0.0/8 that are not over loopback?  On the

It's not equally important because your machine would normally
not reply to any such packet, where in the other case it would.

So it's actually less important to block than "normally source addressed"
packets, from a security point of view...

However, from a network cleanliness/sanity point of view, sure it's
probably a good idea to block them, along with RFC 1918 addresses, etc.

-Archie