Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:03:35 -0500
From:      Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu>
To:        Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to fsck -CURRENT on next reboot [ext2fs]

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 04:12:33PM +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Yep. BTW, I've updated the port to omit e2fsprogs' "fsck" command, to
> avoid confusion. Unfortunately, I haven't yet seen feedback from
> Tytso. He's downloaded my changes according to BK logs, but no new
> release or merge yet. :-( I'm hesitant to release a "somewhat rogue"
> snapshot from the development sources as official port.

Sorry, I forgot to send you a note; yes, I've accepted your changes
and they're in my bitkeeper repository.

> I am wondering how to deal with /etc/fstab. I can of course add a
> symlink from /sbin/fsck_ext2fs to %D/sbin/e2fsck, so I can type "fsck
> /linux" and have the file system checked, but this will not work when
> someone sets the Pass# column in fsck to something non-zero.

But that's what's supposed to happen when someone sets the Pass# to
zero, yes?  Or is the problem that in the past, /sbin/fsck_ext2fs
wasn't available, so some people may have put zero into the column in
order to prevent errors at boot time?

Can BSD packages in the ports system allowed prompt the user upon
installation/upgrade?  If so the obvious thing to do is to ask the
user, when they install the new version of e2fsprogs, whether they
want the pass # in /etc/fstab to be reset to some sane value, and then
have the postinstall script do that.

						 - Ted