Date:      Wed, 9 Feb 2000 14:26:05 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Russ Pagenkopf <russ.pagenkopf@uas.alaska.edu>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, " (CommuniGate Pro Discussions)" <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>, "Technical Support, Stalker Labs" <support@stalker.com>, Douglas Brian Quayle <dquayle@slk.com>, Martin Minkus <diskiller@cnbinc.com>
Subject:   Re: Summary: FreeBSD, posix, pthread problems

* Russ Pagenkopf <russ.pagenkopf@uas.alaska.edu> [000209 13:45] wrote:
> YEE HAW! The problem is fixed!

glad to hear. :)

> The machine:
> FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE
> (ctm 451)
>
> The Problem:
> > I'm attempting to install CommuniGatePro. When I first tried to run it
> > after installation it gave me the following error:
> >
> > /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: ./CGServer: Undefined symbol
> > "pthread_attr_setscope"
>
> The Solution:
> Alfred Perlstein wrote: <snip> the symlinks are set properly for you to use
> the 3 version of the library (you may want to copy libc_r.so.4 over
> libc_r.so.3).
>
> So,
>
> chflags noschg libc_r.so.3
> mv libc_r.so.3 libc_r.so.3.bkp
> cp libc_r.so.4 libc_r.so.3
>
> Voila'!
>
> Why does this work?
> Apparently (remember I'm not a C programmer) CGPro is being linked against
> libc_r.so.3 (which on FreeBSD appears to be an older library) as evidenced by:
>
> archives# ldd CGServer
> CGServer:
>         libcrypt.so.2 => /usr/lib/libcrypt.so.2 (0x281c8000)
>         libc_r.so.3 => /usr/lib/libc_r.so.3 (0x281dd000)
>
> instead of libc_r.so which symlinks to the latest library - libc_r.so.4. Now
> something else must also be going on while making world or compiling the
> kernel, because it seems to me that if the library libc_r.so.3 is physically
> there it should also be available for use, but apparently not.

Ok well basically I think that the libc_r library version got bumped sometime
between the setscope stuff was added and your own upgrade, you're correct
that the program was explicitly asking for the .3 version, unfortunatly
since the new library is .4 it doesn't replace the .3 version (to help
maintain binary compatibility), unfortunatly this seems to have caused you
a big headache. :(

But then again we got it fixed! :)

> I'll keep copies of the email I've sent back and forth if anyone wants them,
> otherwise, just count me as one very happy camper!
>
> Thanks to everyone who had suggestions, everyone of them was valuable and
> helped point me in the right direction!

Thanks for letting us know what finally fixed it, the record in the mailing
list archives should prove helpful to others.

-Alfred