Date:      Tue, 02 Jun 2009 06:33:15 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@freebsd.org, Doug Barton <dougb@dougbarton.us>
Subject:   Re: Removal of deprecation for network_interfaces != AUTO

--------------enigF6A6C244D0117BAC3B801C7E

Brooks Davis wrote:

> I've never seen a valid use case, just failures to understand the
> current system.

My laptop has iwi0 and bge0 interfaces.  At work, both of these obtain
addresses and default routes by DHCP, but from two completely different D=
HCP
servers.  When I'm plugged into the wired network I want the bge0 interfa=
ce to
be the default route, but iwi0 comes first in the list of interfaces prod=
uced
by ifconfig, so it gets configured first and sets the route.  Of course, =
when
I'm not plugged into the wired network I want iwi0 to have the default ro=
ute,
so I can't just use dhclient.conf to disregard routing information on tha=
interface.

All in all, setting network_interfaces=3D"bge0 iwi0 lo0" does exactly wha=
t I
want with minimal effort.

	Cheers,

	Matthew