Date:      Sun, 21 Jun 1998 18:29:23 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Danny Dulai <nirva@ishiboo.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X-10 Mouse Remote patch

> Right now, there is no way I can get the remote output that moused gives
> to /var/run/MouseRemote, and still run other mice on moused, AND
> having the remote's mouse functions disabled.
>
> The mouse remote's rf receiver gets far too much interference and causes
> my mouse pointer to jump around and buttons to be pressed randomly. The
> remote is uesless without turning off the mouse support.
>
> To solve this problem either add an option to moused to turn off mouse
> messages (and rename moused to something better), or use the model I
> suggested using remoted that splits mouse and remote events.
>
> Randall has expierenced the problems I'm getting, and I assume most
> others that have this remote do too. This is not a feature that '[isnt]
> worth the effort', its a mandatory feature for functionality.

Drivers should, as a general rule, cater to hardware that is working
correctly.  If you have a decent general-purpose heuristic that helps
with a given failure mode, that's one thing, but attempting to kluge
around hardware that is failing in a completely random fashion is
pointless.

If you want the split, we can talk about the modular architecture I
originally proposed, presuming of course that you're interested in
discussing or implementing it.