Date:      Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:42:26 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, peter@netplex.com.au, kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: portability of shm, mmap, pipes and socket IPC

> >> Rubbish!  They are quite seperate to an AF_UNIX socketpair() and have been
> >> for a *long* time (since 1996 when 2.2 was branched).
> >
> >Sorry again; I got confused.  It's the IPC code that's implemented with
> >the sys_socket.c's struct fileops referenced by uipc_syscalls.c.
>
>    Wrong file for pipes. See sys_pipe.c.

Right.  I am no longer pointing at the pipes and sockets as sharing
code, I'm pointing at the socket and the SysV IPC.

I was agreeing with Peter that I was wrong about the pipe code being
shared.

Oh, in case it got lost in the ensuing discussion because of my mistake:
FreeBSD pipes *are* bidirectional, which is a difference from Linux
and other OS's, in general.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---