Date:      Wed, 6 Aug 97 19:30:48 -0700
From:      Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>
To:        <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, "AGP Group" <agp@peritek.com>
Subject:   Re: Status of USB, TX chipset, PIIX3, etc.

On 8/5/1997 8:57 PM, Michael Smith (msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au) said:

>On the contrary, I would be overjoyed to see USB succeed.  However, it
>adds components to the desktop cable mess, and these components currently
>cost real money.  When I can buy a USB hub/controller interface chip in
>small volumes for under AUD$50 each, I'll say that USB has hit the
>"geek" market.
>
>In 10k volumes, an integrated USB target/micro device would have to be
>under the AUD$1 mark before it is cost effective.  Try getting that
>sort of quantity pricing on the Z8 or PIC micros commonly used in
>serial mice these days...

I just saw an ad at the back of the latest EETimes (Mon Aug 4, 1997 #965)
from Cypress <http://www.cypres.com>.  The ad claims that they're selling
the first USB uC under $1.00.  (But they don't mention quantity.)  It's
their CY7C63nxx series of parts designed for joysticks, gamepads, and
keyboards.

It's an 8-bit microcontroller including RAM (128 or 256 bytes depending
on the part), EPROM (4Kb or 8Kb), a USB serial engine, and a transceiver.
 It has a clock-doubler and "instant-on" low-power features.  Number of
I/Os (whatever those are) vary from 10 to 39.  The ad claims it's a RISC
core but doesn't say what's in it.

The also advertise a development system is $495 including an emulator,
assembler, debugger, software for mouse/joysticks, and a USB code
library.  Not quite at the geek hobbyist level, but certainly not
outrageous either.

For the record, I'm not am employee, customer, a contractor, or in any
way affiliated with Cypress.

    -- Parag